Monday, May 25, 2009

Ooooh, Lookit What I Got!

Normally when the doorbell rings, it's the local Jehovah's Witness out to save my soul, or the obnoxious neighbor kid who won't go away until you apply your hint with a sledgehammer and a barrage of rotten produce, or a kindly passing pedestrian letting me know that my brake lights are stuck on again. But this morning, it was the Purolator lady with a basket of goodies for me. Yay!


As she handed over the box, she grinned and asked, "More books?" How's that for living in a small town--everyone knows everybody else's business, and they're often just as excited as you are when awesome things arrive.

Have to say, I'm as stoked as I was the first time. I'm wondering if it's ever something you get used to--holding your own book in your hands. As much as I love ebooks, as much as I hold to the belief that they're just as "real" as print books, there's something very...tangible about paper and ink. And the knowledge that now my work is accessible to the 90+% of the population that prefers print to digital doesn't hurt, either.

I will, of course, be putting one or two signed copies up for grabs as release day nears, and will think of something suitably mortifying for you all to do to qualify. I'm sure you won't disappoint me, either.

Just so you know, I haven't sniffed these books yet. I've been on muscle relaxants all week since I put my neck out on Tuesday, and I'm worried the fumes from the ink will interact with the drugs. Best to play it safe. :)

5 comments:

LVLM(Leah) said...

WooT!!! Yes, having the book in 3D format does feel more real doesn't it. I'm pretty sure though that new book smell won't make you higher than just having it to begin with.

Sniff and lick away. LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh, there's nothing like the smell of new books!! Congrats on the print release!!!

Cathy in AK said...

This "suitably mortifying" thing to qualify won't end up on YouTube will it? My kids and their friends are constantly trolling for material there.

And yeah, small town living....great until you do something involving muscle relaxants and that new book smell ; )

Congrats on the print release!

kirsten saell said...

Thanks, guys. :)

And no, Cathy, nothing will end up on Youtube. I usually ask everyone to write goofy things in lolcatspeak. I think this time, I'll have them caption the cover. Yeah, that's got some porential for hilarity right there. :P

Amy C said...

They are so pretty :). Another to add to the shelf!