Sunday, February 13, 2011

the Meaning of the Day

Valentine's day is all about romance. And maybe that's why I've never really been that into it as a holiday.

Flowers. Chocolate. A fancy dinner. A night of dancing, a tub full of hot water and bubbles with candles all around, a bed strewn with rose petals. Maybe a new necklace, or a ring. The grand gesture, the ROMANCE.

Except that love isn't about the grand gesture, it's a hand brushing your shoulder as he walks by your chair, it's a cup of coffee you bring him in the morning, it's him scraping your windshield before he leaves for work so you won't have to do it in an hour. It's a glass of orange juice and some medicine delivered to your night table when you're sick. It's a thousand tiny gestures that add up, to let you know you're loved and appreciated every day of the year.

And I'm not saying that flowers and chocolate are meaningless, it's just that without those small gestures that happen all the time, well...a bouquet and a card aren't going to make up for anything.

I'm going to spend my Valentine's Day writing and waiting tables. The guy and I are going to have Chinese when I get off work. Might not sound like anything special, but it's my kinda Valentine's Day...

A happy one to you all. :)

1 comment:

LVLM(Leah) said...

Amen sister. I was never into the whole Valentines day stuff. I don't care if the Mr. gets me something or not even though I do for him.

Candy, flowers, dinner are all symbols of what "romance" is supposed to be. What you said is more my truth. That's what romance is to me. Just the everyday things you do for each other to make life just a little more comfortable and happy.